Anxiety is one of the natural phenomena in humans along with all other creatures. The dogs are no exceptions. Dogs may get anxious for many reasons which include – being alone at home, for the fear of being first time groomed, being newly adopted, separation anxiety, traveling or loud noise, etc. An anxious dog isn’t so easily identifiable as humans. So, you need to be concerned about your dog being anxious through the most common symptoms of that. If your dog is seen to be anxious, you don’t need to have nightmares about that. Instead, you should be relaxed because this anxiety refers that your fur baby having a healthy and normal emotional cycle.
Why Do Dogs Have Anxiety?
Anxiety in dogs is no exception. This is a common instinct among dogs. There may be some reason for your dog being anxious. Knowing the reasons will make you help them come out of this anxiety. Some common reasons for anxiety in dogs include:
- Newly brought at home for the first time
- Being separated from biological mother all of a sudden
- Being alone at home when the parents are at work
- Separation anxiety for their owners
- Having a grooming session for the first time
- Not being familiar with the noises that grooming tools make, like Dryer, clipper
- Being scared or afraid of something, like- water
- Crate trained for the first time
- Car sickness or scared of traveling
- Scared of meeting new people, children, or any other pet
- Because of aging, etc.
What Are The Symptoms of Anxiety In Dogs?
Sometimes, it becomes tough to know if your dog is anxious. Some common symptoms of dog anxiety are:
- Trying to hide inside the sofa or other furniture
- Barking or howling in an extra amount
- Excessive whining along with aggression
- Defecating or urinating at home
- Unusual destructive behavior like scattering everything here and there
- Unstoppable barking
- Pacing and restlessness
- Tucking of tail
- Digging and scratching inside the home
- Excessive licking of everything
- Trembling or shaking of the body
- Unusual chewing of everything etc.
How To Prevent Anxiety In Dogs?
As a caring dog owner, it’s your sole task to prevent your fur baby from being anxious. This will make him feel relaxed and at the same time relieved from depression. Dog anxiety is most of the time observed due to separation. A few of the tips that can be followed to make your dog less anxious:
How To Make Dogs Less Anxious?
We know that prevention has been always better than cure. But the thing, cure also matters. You need to follow a few tips to make your dog less anxious:
Being anxious is a common instinct in humans. You don’t need to be nervous about your dog’s anxiety at all. But if your dog becomes anxious or over-stressed and if it occurs on a very regular routine, you can consult professionals. Moreover, it’s better that you follow the physical steps first. Before getting into the medications, you of course need a prescription or acceptance from your vet.