Products are linked after in-depth research. From qualifying purchases, I receive commissions as an Affiliate Associate but with no extra cost to the buyers.
Kennel cough is the common name of the contagious cough encountered, especially by puppies. It’s also renowned to the owners as a customary dog airway infection. Few possibilities exist for this kennel cough to go away on its own. Over the counter refers to those medications which can be given to your fur baby without your vet’s advice, and at the same time, those medicines will cure the kennel cough.
What Is Meant By Over The Counter Kennel Cough Medicine?
Over-the-counter medications (OTC) refer to those medications which don’t have adverse effects on your dog and can be used on your pup without your vet’s recommendation. Not all of the over the counter dog kennel cough medicines are safe. Some medications, among them, can be termed as safe. Those include:
- Antihistamines, including – Benadryl (Diphenhydramine), Zyrtec (cetirizine), and Claritin (loratadine)
- Antinauseants or Antidiarrheals, like Pepto-Bismol (Bismuth subsalicylate), Kaopectate
Can I Give My Dog OTC Cough Medicine?
No, it shouldn’t be a good idea to provide your dog with over-the-counter medicines. Those medicines are specially designed to cure human problems. Even these medicines might be dangerous and toxic to your fur baby. But, there are some over the counter remedies for kennel cough that can be allowed to provide your fur baby with. These OTC remedies for dogs include cough suppressants and throat lozenges. But in the case of other medicines, you must discuss it with your vet first.
How Much Is Kennel Cough Medicine?
OTC medicines are usually not made for dogs. However, if they are available, they might cost $20 or thereabouts. But this price might vary depending on the location of your house, your dog’s size, structure, breed, etc. The price of OTC cough medicines also varies depending on the brand, quantity, and quality of the medicine that you buy.
Are Over The Counter Medicines For Kennel Cough Available?
Several over the counter cough medicines are available for humans. However, these medicines might be toxic, poisonous, and harmful to some extent. That’s why OTC medicines are not much reliable for dogs. And that’s the reason there are no specific over the counter medicines, especially for kennel cough. So, if you observe any symptoms of sneezing, coughing, or persistent cough in your fur baby, it’s better to go to your vet first as a prescription for kennel cough. Non-prescribed OTC medicines might cause much harm to your dog if they include harsh ingredients or if the dosage is not perfect.
What Over The Counter Cough Medicine Is Good For Dogs?
Over the counter medicines usually aren’t vet approved. The immunity system, medicine-bearing capability, and overdose side effects vary in dogs. That’s why dogs can be allowed with any over the counter medicines that easily. Because these medicines are mainly prescribed for human health, irregular dosages of these medicines might have a negative impact on your dog. These medicines might be harmful as well as dangerous for their health. But, there are some over the counter kennel cough medicines which are proven as prescribed as safe for fur babies. However, we’ll be placing down below some of the reliable over the counter kennel cough medicines for dogs:
Over the Counter Kennel Cough Medicine
- Homeopet Natural Treatment For Dog Kennel Cough
- Alpha Pet Kennel Cough and Allergy Relief Supplement For Cats and Dogs
- Safebay Breathe Well Allergy Relief And Respiratory Support Herbal Pet Drops
- Vetflix Cough And Throat Soother Natural Pet Supplement Drops For Dogs
- Paw Healer Hound Honey Extracted Dog Kennel Cough Relieving Syrup
- Fifth and Fido Natural Herbal Cough Soother Supplement For Dogs
Best OTC Kennel Cough Medicine
Now these mentioned worthy kennel cough relieving over the counter medicines are described as follows:
Homeopet Natural Treatment for Dog Kennel Cough
The most active ingredient of this over the counter kennel cough includes Drosera Rotundifolia. Besides the normal kennel cough, this treatment also deals with wheezing, dry nose, persisting cough, and more. The package includes up to 90 doses per bottle. Again, it is also highly appreciated for use on dogs and cats. It is free from artificial ingredients as they state to be all-natural and homeopathic. Because of being FDA registered and being free from any artificial color or taste, the Homeopet Natural treatment is indeed the best option for your furry buddy.
- Acts very fast upon dogs and cats
- Fights against both wet and dry kennel cough
- Made up of all-natural and homeopathic ingredients
- Deals with a persistent dry nose, sneezing, kennel cough, wheezing and dry-wet barky dog coughs
- Per bottle leads to 90 doses on average
- Suitable for kittens, pups and many other tiny creatures
- Also safe for pregnant and lactating dogs
- FDA registered process
- Free from all artificial chemicals, colors
- No adverse side effects are found
Alpha Pet Kennel Cough and Allergy Relief Supplement For Cats and Dogs
The alpha pet kennel cough supplement is produced with all-natural components, which are effective in curing dog kennel cough. The effective natural ingredients of this supplement include- orange peel, calendula, licorice, elderberry, ginger, angelica root etc. This drop supplement is suitable for reducing cough, breathing distress as well as allergy. For dogs less than 10 pounds, the suggested dose is ½ dropper; for pets weighing 10 to 35 pounds, the suggested dose is 1 dropper; and for pets weighing 36 pounds plus, the suggested dose is 2 droppers.
- Suitable for dogs of all breeds and all sizes.
- Deals with kennel cough, breathing problems and respiratory distress.
- Free from all artificial chemicals, flavors and colors
- Made with natural ingredients, like orange peel, calendula, licorice, elderberry, ginger, angelica root etc.
- Specially designed for both cats and dogs of all breeds and ages.
- Made in the US with love by the herbal nutritionists
- In the perfect composition for your pet
- No adverse side effects are observed, and with a soft natural effect
- Its flavor is not liked by some dogs.
Safebay Breathe Well Allergy Relief and Respiratory Support Herbal Pet Drops
The safebay breathe well over the counter kennel cough supplement for dogs provides instant and temporary relief from kennel cough, respiratory distress and more. Moreover, this supplement contains most symptom-fighting ingredients, like elderberry, calendula and mullein leaf. Moreover, this supplement also relieves your dog from asthma, dry or weight barky kennel cough, allergies as well as irritant throat. Because of being 100 percent natural, this natural cough-relieving supplement is trusted and suggested by vets.
- Relieves your dog from wet and dry cough, kennel cough and wheezing
- Also relieves him from asthma, bronchitis, allergies, irritant throat and respiratory distress
- Made with 100 percent natural ingredients, like orange peel, elderberry, calendula, angelica root and mullein leaf
- Preferable for dogs of all sizes
- Free from artificial chemicals, additives, preservatives, filler, GMO, and gluten
- Also resists allergies in dogs
- Made in the USA with utmost care
- Doesn’t cause any adverse side effects
- Available with a 100 percent satisfaction money-back guarantee
- Development in the cases of cats is comparatively slower than expected.
Vetflix Cough and Throat Soother Natural Pet Supplement Drops For Dogs
Like other similar over the counter cough relieving products on our list, the vetflix supplement also helps resist kennel cough, respiratory distress, allergies and irritant throat. This supplement is also made up of all-natural ingredients, like Calendula, Mullein leaf and elderberry. This natural soother supplement is preferable for pets of all sizes. Moreover, this supplement drops soothe as well as calm your dog’s kennel cough, wet and dry barky cough, asthma and more.
- Made with all-natural ingredients, like elderberry, calendula and mullein leaf
- It’s non-gmo
- Free from harmful chemicals, artificial additives or colors
- Resists kennel cough, wet and dry barky cough and more
- Deals with asthma, respiratory distress, breathing problem, allergies, and irritant throat
- Safe for dogs of all sizes
- Helps in curing wheezing too
- It is tasteless
Paw Healer Hound Honey Extracted Dog Kennel Cough Relieving Syrup
The paw healer over the counter kennel cough supplement is made up of all-natural ingredients, like Flos Chrysanthemi, Herba Menthae Haplocalycis, Ramulus Cinnamomi, Radix Paeoniae Alba, Flos Magnoliae and more. This product is specifically special as it is made up of all safe and trustable Chinese ingredients. The ideal dosage of this syrup is 3 to 4 times per day. In the case of dogs below 5 pounds, the suggested dosage is 1/8 tsp; for those 6 – 10 pounds, the suggested dosage is ¼ tsp; for 11 to 30 pounds, the suggested dosage is ½ tsp, and finally, for those dogs weighing 31 pounds and more, the suggested dosage is ¾ tsp.
- A premium graded pure herbal product
- Available in the form of syrup
- Hound honey is its chief ingredient to resist kennel cough.
- Resists especially against kennel cough in dogs
- Made with some natural Chinese trustable herbs
- Main ingredients include Flos Chrysanthemi, Herba Menthae Haplocalycis, Ramulus Cinnamomi, Radix Paeoniae Alba, Flos Magnoliae and more.
- Free from additional chemicals, fillers or colorful additives
- Doesn’t work equally effectively on all breeds of dogs
Fifth and Fido Natural Herbal Cough Soother Supplement For Dogs
Having semblance with all other over the counter kennel cough supplement, this one also effectively soothes your pup’s kennel cough effectively. The fifth and Fido kennel cough soothing supplement is mainly plant-based, which makes it fully assured of natural ingredients. Besides curing kennel cough at home, this supplement also deals with respiratory distress and boosts your dog’s immune system. Moreover, this supplement also reduces the symptoms of allergies, inflammation, watery eyes and runny nose. Again, this supplement is made of the most effective natural ingredients, like Angelica root, elderberry and mullein leaf.
- Resists kennel cough efficiently and combats respiratory distress and asthma
- Deals with allergies, inflammation, watery eyes and a runny nose
- Made with safe and natural ingredients like Angelica root, elderberry and mullein leaf
- 1 dropper dosage is suggested for dogs below 35 pounds weight
- The suggested dosage for dogs weighing 35 to 75 pounds is 2 droppers
- And for dogs above 75 pounds of weight, the suggested dosage is 3 droppers
- Plant-based natural formula
- Relieves your dog from symptoms of seasonal allergies
- Free from artificial fillers or preservatives
- Organic herbs for curing dogs of all sizes
- Sometimes, defects in the dropper are observed
Wrapping It Up
Over the counter kennel cough relieving medicines aren’t usually the prescribed ones. That’s why the selection of the safe one becomes a little tough for the owners. However, our above-mentioned lists of safe over the counter kennel cough relieving supplements are all safe, popular and highly recommended. Well, the main objective is to cure your dog from kennel cough. And in those cases, medicines need to be provided instantly. That’s because kennel coughs hardly go away by themselves.