The flea instinct has been a common phenomenon among fur babies nowadays. Flea and heartworm are the worst evil to the long life of dogs. First comes the formation of flea in your dog, which later on leads to the transmission of tapeworm and more. The rise of different health affecting agents like mites, intestinal parasites, ticks, biting flies, and ticks is a result of it. However, it is possible to prevent these creatures from building an habitant in your dog’s body by using the Best flea tick and heartworm medicine or treatments for flea, tick, heartworm, and so on.
How Essential Is Tick And Flea Prevention For Canines?
Fleas and ticks are known to be the greatest health retarding and affecting agents in dogs. These cruel creatures cause itchiness, discomfort, infections, and many other underlying diseases. Fleas and ticks can cause other diseases as well, such as rocky mountain spotted fever and Lyme disease as well. They can also cause to develop infestation in your dogs, and they can easily get transmitted to humans as well. That’s why it’s a must for the dog owner to appear with the preventions and treatment for dogs as swiftly as possible.
Are Flea And Tick Medicines Necessary For Dogs Every Month?
Indeed yes! It’s too necessary to keep your dog protected all through the year. Fleas and ticks are one of the greatly affecting external parasites in dogs. They suck blood and cause enormous weakness and discomfort to the dogs. Moreover, they are capable of jumping up to a height of 13 inches which makes them able to settle on humans as well. But, the proper use of the flea tick and heartworm medicine for dogs all through the year can slightly reduce the risk affecting your dog as well as transmission. A minimum age of starting flea and tick treatment in puppies is 7 weeks.
Do Dogs Require Flea Tick Treatment During Winter?
The lion’s share of recommendations refers to using the flea tick and heartworm medicine or treatment for dogs all through the year. You’ll hear from a lot of fido owners sharing opinions of not using the flea and tick treatments and medicines during winter. But they actually have a wrong conception because even in the winter, there remain some risks of your dog being prey to these external parasites. Although the breeding and activity of the flea and ticks get lowered down in a cooler season, they are still capable of driving out their activities when the temperature exceeds the freezing point. They can start their activity when it’s as low as 33 degrees. However, the coolest months are December to February, when there are fewer chances of developing fleas and ticks. However, it’s better that you always avoid those risks.
What Is The Best Flea Tick And Heartworm Medicine For Dogs?
It’s true that all the treatments and medicines available for ousting out the flea from your dog’s body. You should always consider some important factors while selecting the preferable treatment for your dog. In such cases, you need to be cautious for:
- The treatment shouldn’t contain any kind of synthetic neonicotinoids which are harmful to your dog. These types of elements include dinotefuran and Imidacloprid.
- Instead, you should look for the less toxic ingredients in the dog flea treatment, like pyriproxyfen and s-methoprene
- A certain treatment or medicine needs to be approved according to the weight and age of your four-legged companion.
- Medications with a label of “broad spectrum” are, of course, something more resistive to several species.
- You need to look at whether the product can be used all through the year and the time span so far it lasts.
- Treatment necessarily needs to be waterproof.
At present, because of the competitive market of dog products, especially the best flea tick and heartworm medicine for dogs, it has become tough to identify the appropriate product according to the size, shape, weight, breed, and age of your pup. Some of the expert suggestions of the best treatments are enlisted here:
- Frontline Plus Treatment Of Flea And Tick Removal In Dogs
- K9 Advantix II Flea Tick And Mosquito Repelling Treatment For Medium Sized Dogs.
- CAPSTAR Oral Treatment For Flea Repelling For Large Sized Dogs
- Nexguard Beef Flavored Chewables For Flea And Tick Removing In Medium To Large Dogs
- Advantage Multi Tropical Treatment For Large Dogs Especially
- Simparica TRIO Flea Andtick Treatment Available For All Sized Dogs
- Heartguard Plus Hook Worm, Heart Worm And Roundworm Resisting Treatment For Dogs
- Bravecto Dog Flea And Tick Treatment Lasting For 12 Weeks
- Trifexis Heart Worm, Flea And Intestine Worm Resisting Treatment For Dogs
- Sentinel Heartworm, Hookworm And Flea Resisting Tablet Treatments For Dogs
- Triple Wormer De-Worming Tablet Treatment For Medium And Large Dogs
- Seresto Flea And Tick Resisting Collar Treatment For Dogs of All Types
As usual, the above-discussed list had been a short glance of the most recommended products for a dog. A brief description of the individuals is presented following below:
12 Flea Tick And Heartworm Medicine For Dogs
Frontline Plus Treatment of Flea And Tick Removal In Dogs
The frontline plus flea and tick is known to be the top choice for dogs nowadays. The following treatment work effectively on flea, flea eggs, ticks, chewing lice, flea larvae as well as other parasites causing Lyme disease. It is supposed to be a good recommendation for dogs and puppies aging 8 weeks of age or even older. It’s fast-acting, long-lasting, and a waterproof treatment. Its two main active components are (S)-methoprene and fipronil. It’s a great option for small dogs.
- Active ingredients are (S)-methoprene and fipronil.
- Appropriate treatment for small dogs of all life stages
- This package is suitable for small dogs weighing 5 to 22 lbs. Besides, it has other options for medium dogs (23 to 44 lbs), large dogs (45 to 88 lbs), extra-large dogs (89 to 132 lbs)
- It’s able to kill the adult flea, flea eggs, flea larvae, flea pupae, ticks, chewing lice, and others that may transmit Lyme disease.
- It acts fast, runs long, and is waterproof.
- Available in three different sizes of packaging like 3 counts, 6 counts or 8 counts
- It brings an over to the infestations and resists the development of the new ones.
- Being applied at a single point, it’s capable of spreading all through the body and also deposits at the sebaceous glands.
- Keeps on replenishing even if your pup is wet
- Usage of one dosage of this treatment lasts for a span of 30 days.
- Not for cats
K9 Advantix II Flea Tick And Mosquito Repelling Treatment For Medium Sized Dogs.
The K9 Advantix II gets a good impression and recommendations from vets. Well, this treatment is specially designed to work upon medium-sized dogs effectively. And it’s actually much effective in eradicating fleas, flea eggs, flea larvae, ticks, chewing lice, biting flies, and mosquitoes. It acts really effective as it starts its working procedure within 12 hours and keeps on working for a long stretch of 30 days. But it’s a preventive flea and tick treatment for medium-sized dogs weighing 11 to 20 lbs.
- This flea and tick preventive treatment works on the basis of 6 monthly basis.
- Protects your dog from fleas, flea eggs, flea larvae, ticks, mosquitoes, chewing lice, and biting flies.
- Preferable for dog aging 7 weeks and more
- It starts acting within 12 hours and continues up to 30 days
- A fruitful choice for the medium-sized dogs weighing 11 to 20 lbs
- Capable enough to work through all round the year
- Usually, get a good impression and greater recommendations from the vets.
- Promoted with easy application facilities and infused with a tropic flavor
- Also available in 3 other sizes, like small- 4 to 10 lbs, large- 21 to 55 lbs, X large- more than 55 lbs
- For small and medium dogs, it requires 2 to 3 spots of application, and for large and X large dogs, it requires 4 to 6 spots of application.
- Effective to kill flea and ticks as well as repelling them from your fur baby.
- Works as waterproof after 24 hours of use
- Can be used once per month.
- It can’t be applied to the cats
CAPSTAR Oral Treatment For Flea Repelling For Large Sized Dogs
The main component of the Capstar oral treatment for killing flea and ticks in dogs is Nitenpyram. This oral treatment starts affecting on your fur baby’s body within only 30 minutes. The discussed treatment starts to function very fast after application and is able to shed off all the fleas from your pup’s body. This treatment is available for large dogs, especially those weighing 25.1 to 125 lbs. Moreover, it also comes in another package especially entitled for small dogs weighing 2 to 25 lbs. This package is available in 2 different sizes of 6 counts and 12 counts, respectively.
- The active ingredient in this treatment is Nitenpyram.
- Starts working within 30 minutes of application
- Available in two different sizes of tablets for the large dogs of 25.1 to 125 lbs of weight and for the small dogs of 2 to 25 lbs of weight.
- One dose of this treatment is sufficient for killing the adult fleas in your fur baby. But if reinfestation in his body takes place, the second dose of CAPSTAR is also safe for him.
- Capable of killing those species of fleas that cause flea allergy dermatitis
- The application of CAPSTAR is safe even for pregnant and breeding dogs.
- It can easily kill 90 percent matured fleas within the first 4 hours.
- The following treatment is safe for puppies of 4 weeks or older.
- Preferable for dogs belonging to all age stages
- Safe for puppies as well as kittens
- Users claim that it’s toxic to a few allergic dogs
Nexguard Beef Flavored Chewables For Flea And Tick Removing In Medium To Large Dogs
The main component of the Nexgard Chewables is afoxolaner. The specialized chews are specially infused with the soft beef flavor that dogs love to eat. The following package comes with a net amount of 3 chews, where each chew contains about 68 mg of afoxolaner. The Nexgard chews are FDA approved, and it is approved for puppies of 8 weeks and weighs as less as 4 pounds. Its frequency of dosage on dogs is once per month. The Nexgard chewable come in 4 different colors sizes, respectively, for small dogs, medium-sized dogs, large dogs, and the X large dogs.
- The main active component of the chewable is afoxolaner
- The parasiticide work effectively to kill the flea and ticks before they can lay eggs.
- It is available in 4 different colors of sizes like the orange colored for dogs weighing 4 to 10lbs, blue color for 10.1 to 24lbs, purple for 24.1 to 60lbs, and lastly, the red-colored package for dogs weighing 60.1 to 121lbs.
- Safe for younger puppies of 8 weeks as well
- One dosage of this treatment lasts for an entire month.
- FDA approved dog flea and tick treatment
- Infused with the soft beef flavor, dogs usually have intense love with
- Kill fleas black-legged ticks and resists the parasites causing Lyme disease
- Can be used on 8 weeks of puppies who need to weigh at least 4lbs
- Its safe use on pregnant and breeding dogs hasn’t been ensured yet
- Usually causes some adverse side effects, like lethargy, vomiting, lack of appetite, itching, and diarrhea
Advantage Multi Tropical Treatment For Large Dogs Especially
Just like the name of this flea and tick removing treatment, it has multifarious advantages in resisting your dogs from the harmful external and internal parasites like heartworm, fleas, microfilaria, whipworm, roundworm, hookworm, and sarcoptic mange. The chief acting agent of this flea and tick treatment for dogs is Imidacloprid and moxidectin. The following mentioned tropical parasiticide comes in the form of a solution and keeps on working at a stretch of one month. This treatment is termed be safe for dogs or puppies of 7 weeks of age or older.
- Capable of killing flea very swiftly
- Prevents infestation of fleas and heartworm disease.
- Prevents other parasites as well like hookworm, whipworm, flea, roundworm, sarcoptic mange, microfilariae, and heartworm
- Preferable for puppies aging 7 weeks or more and at least weighing 3lbs
- 5 different color varieties are included in it to depict various options for different sizes of dogs like the green color for dogs weighing 3 to 9lbs, teal color for 9.1 to 20lbs, weight range for red color is 20.1 to 55lbs, this blue color indicates 55.1 to 88lbs of weight, and finally, the brown-colored version is referred for a dog weighing 88.1 to 100lbs
- The package includes 6 doses of the tropical solution.
- Each dose includes 400mg of Imidacloprid and 100mg of moxidectin.
- Treatment lasts on your fur baby for as long as 1 month.
- Also treats Dirofilaria Immitis, which usually circulates microfilariae
- Cannot be administered orally
- Shouldn’t be applied to the cats anyway
- Possible side effects of this treatment include lethargy, vomiting, diarrhea, and more
Simparica Trio Flea, Tick, Heartworm, Roundworms and Hookworms Treatment Available For All Sized Dogs
The active working elements of the Simparica Trio flea and tick treatment are Sarolaner, moxidectin, and Pyrantel. This treatment includes a perfect blend of these three agents because Sarolaner is well known as an agent to kill flea and ticks in a dog’s body. Moxidectin is a good cure for heartworm disease, whereas Pyrantel works great in eradicating hookworms and roundworms. As much as 6 variety of colors are available as its branches for different sized dogs, namely- gold color for 2.8 to 5.5lbs of weight, purple color for 5.6 to 11.0lbs, caramel-colored version for 11.1 to 22.0lbs of weight, teal color for 22.1 up to 44.0lbs, green-colored option for dogs weighing 44.1-88.0lbs, and lastly, the brown colored one for 88.1-132.0lbs of weight.
- Pretty much-favored choice for dogs and puppies aging 8 weeks and more and must weigh 2.8 pounds or heavier.
- Active working agents of this treatment include Sarolaner, moxidectin, and Pyrantel.
- Moxidectin acts upon heartworms, Sarolaner eradicates fleas and ticks, and Pyrantel is effective on hookworms and roundworms.
- The package includes six chewable capable of acting upon 5 species of ticks, fleas, heartworms, roundworms, and hookworms.
- The following package of oral parasiticide is applicable for the dogs belonging to adult and pup life stages, respectively.
- Starts working within 4 hours and brings about 100 percent effectiveness within 8 hours of application
- Each chewable contains 24mg sarolaner, 0.48mg Moxidectin and 100mg Pyrantel
- The package comes in 6 different options ranging from small dogs to the very large ones.
- Shouldn’t be used without a prescription from a licensed vet
- The most common side effects of this treatment include vomiting and diarrhea
Heartguard Plus Hook, Heart And Roundworm Resisting Treatment For Dogs
The main acting agents of the Heartguard Plus flea and tick controlling treatment are Ivermectin and Pyrantel Pamoate. These two elements work together correspondingly in order to bring a hard defeat of the hookworms and roundworms in our dog’s body. The package comes in 6 counts of chewable especially infused with the real beef flavor that the dogs intensively love. Each count of chewable is made with a special blend containing 272mcg of Ivermectin and 227mg of Pyrantel. Its uses are open for all dogs or pups aging 6 months at least. And each dose of it mentions once per month.
- The main active components of the treatment include Ivermectin and Pyrantel
- Termed as a safe treatment for dogs or pups aging at least 6 months
- Effective in preventing Ascarid, heartworm disease and treats 3 species of hookworms and 2 species of roundworms
- The chewable come in the real beef flavor that dogs never hesitate to eat
- Each chew contains272mcg of Ivermectin and 227mg of Pyrantel
- Each chew works effectively and runs on an average monthly basis.
- Available in three different color sizes packages, blue for those weighing up to 25lbs, green for those having an approximate weight within 26 to 50lbs, and finally, the brown-colored package for fidos weighing 51 to 100 pounds of weight.
- A full prescription from a licensed vet is required
- Most common adverse reactions include diarrhea, vomiting, anorexia, ataxia.
Bravecto Dog Flea And Tick Treatment Lasting For 12 Weeks
The main active working element of Bravecto flea and tick treatment for dogs is fluralaner. The mentioned parasiticide can be used for adult dogs as well as puppies of at least 6 months of age. The most unique feature of this flea and tick treatment is that it can last up to a span of 12 weeks, whereas the most competitive treatments last up to a maximum of one month. It’s capable of killing lone star ticks in your dog for 8 weeks. Each of the chewable contain 1000mg of Fluralaner and is much effective in ending up all the fleas and ticks in his body.
- Capable enough of terminating lone star ticks for 8 weeks
- Provides your dog overall protection by killing the fleas, preventing flea infestations, brown dog tick, black-legged tick, and the American dog tick for 12 weeks
- Dogs or puppies as young as 6 months are allowed to use this chewable flea and tick treatment.
- The main active component of the treatment is Fluralaner, and each chew contains 1000mg of it
- Treatment is effective enough to start killing the fleas within the first 2 hours.
- Controls both flea and tick infestations
- Bravecto dog flea and tick treatment kill approximately 98.7 percent of fleas and ticks within 24 hours of use.
- The following package is available in 5 different color sizes; respectively Yellow-colored- for small dogs weighing within the range of 4.4 to 9.9lbs, orange-colored- preferable for a weight range of 9.9 as much as 22lbs, Green colored version- 22 to 44 pounds of weight, Blue colored option- available for dogs weighing within the range of 44 to 88bs of weight and finally, the pink-colored package is entitled especially for large dogs having weight around 88-123lbs.
- The following treatment isn’t shown to be safe for pups under 6 months yet.
- The most common adverse reactions of the tropical treatment include seizures, vomiting, loss of appetite, tremors, and more.
Trifexis Heart Worm, Flea And Intestine Worm Resisting Treatment For Dogs
The main active agent of the following flea and tick eradicating treatment includes Spinosad and Milbemycin Oxime. The treatment comes in a blend of beef flavor that seems much appealing to dogs. It can only be used in the case of dogs or pups of at least 8 weeks of age and at a minimal weight of 5 pounds. The product acts quite effectively in working against roundworm, hookworm, whipworm flea, and tick infestations. The chewable also help in preventing your dog from being prey to heartworm disease. The following product is available in five different colored sizes. Respectively:
Magenta colored package – especially for a dog weighing 5 to 10lbs in weight
Orange colored package – for the weight range of 10.1 to 20lbs
Green colored package – for dogs having an approximate weight within 20.1 to 40 pounds
Blue colored package – comes for dogs having a weight range within 40.1 lbs to 60lbs
Brown colored package – for those furry buddies who have an approximate weight of 60.1 pounds to 120 pounds.
- The main active components of the Trifexis tick and flea treatments are Spinosad and Milbemycin Oxime.
- The mentioned flea and tick treatment is infused with triple parasite protection.
- Has the capability of killing fleas and preventing its infestation, controlling hookworm, roundworm, and whipworm infestations, and preventing heart disease
- The frequency of the dosage of Trifexis flea and tick controlling treatment is once per month.
- Starts acting upon your fur buddy’s body within 30 minutes of use.
- Moreover, the treatment is also able to kill 100 percent of flea and ticks within the first 4 hours of use.
- Able to kill the fleas before they are able to lay eggs
- Infused with the tasty beef flavor that dogs intensively love
- Use of the treatment requires a prescription from a licensed vet
- Possible adverse effects include vomiting, itching, diarrhea, loss of appetite, a decrease in activity.
Sentinel Heartworm, Hookworm And Flea Resisting Tablet Treatments For Dogs
The Sentinel parasiticide in the form of tablets works efficiently in eradicating hookworm and preventing heartworm as well. The major active ingredient of this flea and tick treatment is Milbemycin Oxime and Lufenuron. But for using this product on your fur baby, he needs to be at least 4 weeks of age and, of course, maintain a weight of minimum 2 pounds. The following treatment comes in 4 color variety of sizes, namely:
Brown colored package – for dogs weighing approximately between 2 to 10 lbs.
Green colored package – for fur babies weighing within 11 to 25 pounds
Yellow-colored package – for dogs having a weight within 26 to 50 pounds
White-colored package – for the large dogs weighing 51 to 100 lbs.
- The main active agent of the treatment includes Milbemycin Oxime and Lufenuron.
- For using this treatment, your fur baby needs to be of 4 weeks and of 2 pounds at least.
- The net content of each package of the treatment is 6 tasty flavored treatments.
- The amount of Lufenuron and Milbemycin Oxime varies according to the size of the color package.
- It’s a monthly based oral treatment for killing flea and flea eggs.
- The Sentinel treatment is able to treat hookworms, whipworms, roundworms and prevents heartworm disease, roundworm, hookworm, and whipworm infestation.
- Mainly designed for dogs belonging to medium and large breeds.
- Packages are also available in 4 different color size varieties.
- A prescription from a vet is necessary for its use.
- The most possible side effects of the treatment include lethargy, ataxia, vomiting, skin congestion, anorexia, urticaria, etc.
Triple Wormer De-Worming Tablet Treatment For Medium And Large Dogs
The triple wormer de-worming treatment is a unique product in our list which actually doesn’t require any kind of prescription from the vet. The main active components of the treatment include Pyrantel Pamoate and praziquantel. The Triple wormer treatment is a fruitful solution for the matured dogs and the puppies. But for that, your fur baby needs to be at least 25 pounds of weight. And the age range recommendations for this treatment mention 12 weeks of age minimum. The dosage amount of the tablets varies on the basis of your dog’s size.
- The treatment is made in the form of tablets, and each package comes with a count of 12
- Treatment is capable of controlling seven types of tapeworms, roundworms, and hookworms.
- Can be used on puppies or dogs weighing 25 pounds or more.
- If used on puppies, they need to be of 12 weeks of age at least.
- For the use of this treatment, no prescription from the vet is urgent
- Each chewable of the treatment consists of 114mg of pyrantel pamoate and 114mg of praziquantel
- For dogs weighing 6 to 25lbs, the 30mg size of the treatment needs to be used
- For 25.1 to 50lbs of weight, he can be offered with only one chewable
- Especially for dogs weighing 50.1 to 100lbs, two tablets can be used
- Dogs who have their approximate weight around 100.1 to 150 lbs can be offered two tablets
- And finally, for those dogs weighing in between 150.1 to 200 lbs, 4 tablets of the treatment can be offered.
- Specially designed for medium and large-sized dogs.
- The effect of these chewables haven’t been noticed on the breeding dogs or pregnant bitches yet.
Seresto Flea And Tick Resisting Collar Treatment For Dogs of All Types
That’s the most popular product on our list every time. Who doesn’t know about the Seresto collar nowadays? In fact, this treatment has earned huge fame among dog owners. The following treatment doesn’t usually appear in the structure of a tablet, chewable, or medicine. Instead, the mentioned treatmtent, Seresto appears as a collar acting alternative. Other unique characteristics of the treatment include – working over a run of 8months, whereas, the maximum other treatments last for 1 month and a maximum up to 3 months. It’s a non-greasy collar and has earned the best impressions and prescriptions from the vets.
- Capable of killing and repelling both fleas and ticks
- Protects your dog from flea, flea larvae, ticks, chewing lice, mosquitoes, sarcoptic mange, and more.
- Prevents fleas, ticks, and other parasites away from your dog over a span of long 8 months
- For the use of Seresto collar, your fur baby needs to be at least 7 weeks of age and should have a weight of 18 lbs or more than 8kg
- Seresto collar has got the highest recommendations and prescriptions from the vet.
- Treatment starts to repel as well as kill maximum population of fleas, ticks within the first 24 hours of initial application.
- Active ingredients of this collar include approximately 4.5 percent of Flumethrin and about 10.0 percent of Imidacloprid.
- For small dogs up to 18 lbs, another collar is available for those dogs adjusting with neck size of 5 to 11.75 inches.
- Large dogs weighing above 18 lbs of weight can also find themselves with another form of the collar package for those fitting with the neck size of 10.5 to 23 inches.
- The Seresto collar is water-resistant and still effective after swimming, shampooing, coming to rain or sunlight, etc.
- Imidacloprid of the collar deals with the flea infestations and the flumethrin works for both repelling and killing ticks.
- The controlling duration for flea of the collar is reduced to 5 months, and the working duration for tick control is reduced to 7 months if your dog goes swimming once or more times per month.
Wrapping It Up
It actually doesn’t matter from where you’re purchasing the flea, tick, or heartworm treatment for your dog. The main thing that does matter is the quality of the best flea tick and heartworm medicine for dogs. The authenticity of the product is another important thing that counts. When you are purchasing the treatment for your dog, we appreciate you having deep research on the top products available out there. The above-mentioned list of flea tick treatments also depicts the same. But cautiousness should be maintained so that the product isn’t counterfeit. And you should always ask for your vet’s prescription for any certain treatment for your fur baby.